It’s that time again! In less than 2 weeks Facebook will be bombarded with “my New Years resolution is…” You can fill in the blank. Some may want a new house, a baby (definitely not on my list!), money, a job, or my personal favorite to stick with a diet. 9 out of 10 people choose the diet because we’ve all consumed WAYY too much junk for the past two months and put an extra 10 lbs on. AKA from cookies and milk. (Now for us Louisianians Blue Bell ice cream starting tomorrow) or we quit our exercise routines because we have to do family things such as eat.
So many things happen during the holidays that make us lose what we’ve done forever or had just started.
Here are 5 ways to actually STICK to your New Year’s Resolution for dieting:
1. Write your goal on a piece of paper and put it on your fridge next to your door or even on your phone. The point is to put itSOMEWHERE that you will see it everyday. You need to see your goal front and center to remind yourself what you are doing.
2. MAKE A REASONABLE AND OBTAINABLE GOAL! Let’s get real here. A diet and weight loss goal cannot be “I’ll eat better and lose some weight.” That gives you no room to even understand HOWmuch weight you want to lose or HOW you’re going to eat better. A New Year’s Resolution should look more like “I will eat 3 small meals a day with half my plate being fruit and veggies and 2-3 snacks daily. I will exercise at least 2 days a week for 30 minutes. This will help me lose 1 lb a week.”
3. KEEP A LOG! One of the easiest things to get caught up in is to either overestimate or underestimate your eating. We all do mindless eating. My mindless eating consists of dark chocolate. I’ll have a bag and then discover that I’ve eaten over half the bag. My personal favorite log is my Fitbit. Not only do I get to keep track of my steps but they have a food diary! How awesome! For those of you who don’t have a Fitbit, the iPhone has a health app. You can log in your weights and it keeps track of your steps.
4. GET A BUDDY! Okay, women and men everywhere have friends that are always wanting to jump on the latest bandwagon. Sticking with something new can be made easier with a friend on board. If you feel like giving up, they will help you stay on track. Text, call, or even email each other to say what you’ve been eating and why you may have overeaten abs but exercised.
5. DON’T EXPECT OVERNIGHT RESULTS! I know that I hate when I’ve worked hard for an entire week and look exactly the same. There is no greater depressor than no results. So stay off the scale at least for a month. It’ll make you give up. If by the end of that month your clothes are looser, that’s all that matters!
If you follow these 5 tips, you will see results from your New Year’s Resolution. Keep motivated and stay strong. Once you start, you’ll be able to succeed! So let’s all get ready for our weight loss goals!