It’s that time again! Facebook is going to be bombarded with “My New Years resolution is…” You can fill in the blank. Some may want a new house, a baby, money, a job, or my personal favorite to stick with a diet. 9 out of 10 people choose the diet because we’ve all consumed WAY too much junk for the past two months and put an extra 15 lbs on. We’ve eaten too much over the holidays, drank too much alcohol, or we quit our exercise routines.
Here are 5 ways to actually STICK to your New Year’s Resolution for dieting:
1. Write your goal on a piece of paper and put it on your fridge, next to your front door, or even on your phone. The point is to put it SOMEWHERE that you will see it everyday. You need to see your goal front and center to remind yourself what you are doing.
2. MAKE A REASONABLE AND OBTAINABLE GOAL! Let’s get real here. A diet and weight loss goal cannot be “I’ll eat better and lose some weight.” That gives you no room to even understand HOW much weight you want to lose or HOW you’re going to eat better. A New Year’s Resolution should look more like “I will eat 3 small meals a day with half my plate being fruit and veggies and 2-3 snacks daily. I will exercise at least 2 days a week for 30 minutes. This will help me lose 1 lb a week.”
3. KEEP A LOG! One of the easiest things to get caught up in is to either overestimate or underestimate your eating. We all do mindless eating. My personal favorite log is my Fitbit. Not only do I get to keep track of my steps but they have a food diary! If you also want to spend around $120-130, they have a Fitbit scale that loads to your Fitbit app and tells you what your body fat percentage is. For those of you who don’t have a Fitbit, the iPhone has a health app. You can log in your weights and it keeps track of your steps. Whatever app you chose, use it consistently!
4. GET A BUDDY! Okay, women and men everywhere have friends that are always wanting to jump on the latest bandwagon. Sticking with something new can be made easier with a friend on board. If you feel like giving up, they will help you stay on track. Text, call, or even email each other to say what you’ve been eating and why you may have overeaten or stopped going exercise.
5. DON’T EXPECT OVERNIGHT RESULTS! You have to know that you won’t see drastic results in one week! It takes a few weeks to start seeing changes in your body, but you will slowly see ounces come off everyday if you are sticking to the changes that you make. Don’t give up because you haven’t gone down to a smaller size in that first week or two!
If you follow these 5 tips, you will see results from your New Year’s Resolution. Keep motivated and stay strong. Once you start, you’ll be able to succeed! So let’s all get ready for our weight loss goals!